Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Our insecurities...

Sunday night, on the news show “60 Minutes”, Sharyn Alfonsi was interviewing Paul McCartney and towards the end, she asked him: “What's the biggest misconception about you?” 
Sir Paul responded: “I don't know really. I don't-- I don't hear about them. I don't know what people think about me. I can-- I can try and guess. I'll-- I'll-- I'll tell you what, 'You must have no insecurities.' Just like anyone else, you have insecurities. 'Cause everyone has them. And no matter how high and great and wonderful you get, there's still something will make you worry.”

This was a telling moment in the sense that the surviving Beatle hit the nail on the head and dealt a big blow to that elusive, moving target that our sense of security often is. Haven't we all wished for the day “we would graduate”, or “have a great career” or achieve this, that or the rest, always thinking that it would unlock true-security-forever?

I haven't, I went through this exercise countless times, only to find out that there is no such thing as living insecurity-free or worry-free. Somehow, we always seem to have some sword hanging upon us, ready to fall and hit us at any moment. And what's more remarkable is that these insecurities or worries are more often than not, trivial, poorly substantiated and short-lived.

Now, how can we deal with them without driving ourselves crazy? Here is how I try to handle these threats; I begin by identifying them, seizing them, looking at them straight in the eyes and, in the process, realizing that they are not so deadly and that, like anything else, they'll too pass...

No comments: