Thursday, January 28, 2021

What are humans made of?

Do we have a mind and then a body or is it one single entity, as a fusion of the two? Not so long ago, I was discussing soul vs. mind and came to the conclusion that they were one and the same. 

Today, if I consider body and mind, I pose the question, are they separate or are they one and the same? Meditation makes believe that it’s the later. When I meditate, I feel that mind and body meld and that they become inseparable. I’m not the only one to think that way. 

Psychologists believe that we should only be concerned with "observable actions", namely stimulus and response. They also believe that thought processes such as the mind cannot be studied scientifically and objectively and should therefore be ignored as independent elements. 

The idea is also shared by biologists who argue that the mind does not exist because there is no physical structure behind it. For them the brain is in fact the mind with all its structures, cells and neural connections. 

There’s a name for that view of the human body, and its Monism (as opposed to Dualism that affirms the separation of mind and body). Monism affirms that ultimately mind and brain are the same thing. 

This makes me feel good that I’m not the only one thinking that way.

No comments: