Thursday, May 11, 2023

One year driving a Tesla

We hear so many negative things about Tesla that it’s easy to get confused and totally concerned about the viability of the car. 

Most of it is constantly generated by Big Oil that doesn’t see well the ominous competition EVs represent to its continued financial health, but some also come from conservative organizations like consumer magazines that are too retrograde to make the effort to honestly try something new and innovative. 

This said, I’ve owned a Tesla model Y for just one year now, including the harshest winter Park City has seen in more than 60 years in which it handled snow better than my previous Subaru, and I must say that I like the car enough to never go back to an ICE powered vehicle. 

There were many elements that motivated to purchase that car. First, I like technology and always have been an early adopter especially when I was younger. Then, I wanted to be “greener” and do my share in cutting my carbon emissions. I was also comforted by my son who now owns two Teslas and loves the product. 

Just after we built our current home I installed solar panels for adding to my “green” orientation and “feed” a future electric vehicle. I will admit that it takes some time to get use to the minimalist dashboard and learn how to navigate the touch-screen, but once one get the hang of it, it becomes just like using a smartphone. In addition, some excellent voice commands provide a good alternative. 

The car’s acceleration make it fun, “schnell” and safe, inside the cabin, the noise level is nonexistent, the sound system fabulous, the seat super comfy, plus it’s roomy with plenty of storage everywhere. What I don’t like is the car aerodynamics get the back of the car dirty instantly and that’s the only negative I’ve experienced. 

I have driven the car just over 6,000 miles and my operating costs in one year have been a measly $57 in extra electrical power I had to pay while my solar panels were snow covered, so it’s nice to forget gas stations. Next week, we plan to take a road trip and will update you with our charging experience!

No comments: