Wednesday, September 30, 2026

The end of human customer support?

Those of you who read this blog regularly know how much I can get frustrated with customer service support over the phone. In the US, that kind of service is rarely done domestically, but comes increasingly from the Philippines. 

There, these people mean well and for the most part are grateful to have that job and do the very best they can. 

Depending on their tenure on the job, they know little about what they’re helping callers with and depending on their accent and command of English, they can be hard, yet alone impossible to comprehend so, overall, that’s not a good way to start. 

So, recently, when my call ended up in the Philippines, couldn’t get resolved, needed to be escalated, or depended on someone more qualified to give me a call when they’d be available, I’ve been turning to AI and every time I needed my questions answered or my problem resolved. 

Bottom line, my questions were addressed well beyond my expectations and I got them in writing. So far, it has beat the “human touch”, and with the constant improvements that I’ve observed around AI, I don’t see why this wouldn’t, on the contrary, it’s likely to get even better. 

Now for the bad news; in a not-so-distant future, we can bet that this will be the beginning of the end of these customer support centers staffed with real humans either in the US, in the Philippines, or anywhere else...

No comments: