Saturday, September 29, 2012

Just do it in reverse!

This is the sequel to yesterday's blog. I finally persevered in trying to replace that pane, and with the (grudgingly) help of a Pella customer service employee who knew what to do and could effectively communicate it over the phone, I was able to slide that heavy sash back into its track.

The maneuver was rather simple and as I executed it, I suddenly remembered that I precisely had done it in reverse when removing the defective pane. The gesture required to insert both corners of the lower pane in the proper set of tracks, in an angle, then tilt the pane almost horizontally towards me, and then raise it swiftly as the two corners slid up into their tracks.

The instructions supplied by Pella missed that critical step and without it, it was impossible to get the job done. My take away in all that? Whenever I'll dismount anything, I'll always do my very best to document (writing, photos or video) what I'm doing so I can “reverse-engineer” it when it's time to do the opposite!

No comments: