Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Who ever knew Straver skis?

I certainly did, and that's because I only lived 45 minutes away from the tiny factory, in Perrignier, France, not far from the shore of Geneva Lake where Paul Peillex, turned his plastic plant into a ski production facility.

I don't remember exactly the year when I got my only two pairs of Straver. Could have been in 1966 or 1967?
I had bought a pair of Straver 28 Slalom in 207 cm, these new, revolutionary fiberglass skis were a compound of fiberglass and polyester. The skis skied wonderfully well for a week before they would delaminate around the edges.

That's how I got two pairs; the second one was replaced under warranty. Polyester wouldn't bind along the steel edges. Epoxy was the only material that could.

Later, in 1973, Mr. Peillex would throw in the towel and sell his factory to Daniel and Léo Lacroix...

3 comments:

Lameri said...

I did! I was twelve in 1971 and they were my first pair of non-wooden skis. I was sooo proud! So happy someone remembers them.

Go 11 said...

Makes us feel less alone, right?

Unknown said...

I did too, had them in 1968-1969 , Arturo von Schroeders, was an investor and a friend of my father’s, i raced with them during the interscolaires de la Suisse Romande, both slalom and downhill. (did not win, but respectable score ;) ) cheers!