Thursday, April 30, 2015

Beyond someone's wildest dreams

Back in the mid-sixties, Avoriaz was built above Morzine, France, to become the first French ski resort without cars. Just horse-drawn sleds and pedestrian traffic. A bucolic and quiet place if you see what I mean. I guess, Zermatt in Switzerland was the forerunner of that trend.

Fast forward 50 years and today, Avoriaz has become a victim of its all success as it's beds are filled to the rim and its slopes are now saturated by skiers and snowboarders. So much so, that collisions between users are a daily nuisance.

Lack of space and widespread bad manners being cited as the main reasons. I was told that this winter season alone, five ski instructors where hit in such collisions. When I hear that, I can't help but think that, with the advent of Vail Resorts in Park City, we're now doomed to experience the same crowded future.

To avoid this, I'd either need to quit the sport, ski less or take on alpine touring!

No comments: