Saturday, May 19, 2012

Aging: Mind and body

When we think about aging, we most often put mind and body conveniently together. From that point on, we often assume that both deteriorate at about the same rate, which suggest that an old body means an equally old mind. That's of course not something I totally agree with. Granted, my body is not what it used to be and isn't getting any better each day that's going by, but my mind isn't just still the same, it's in fact getting better by the day.

Can I even assert that it more than keeps up with my declining body? I guess I can and that makes me very optimistic about growing old. The two opposing trends – loss of physical might and getting wiser – adds up to the positive side of the ledger and aging is far better than a zero-sum game!

No comments: