Thursday, January 9, 2014

Eye-opening committee assignment

Today was the end of my participation in a special committee reviewing the pay of our City Council members and Mayor. I happened to be standing on the opposite end of our 5 people group, pushing only for a modest pay increase.

I believe that serving as a small town elected official remains a public service to our community, not a second job or an additional source of income. The others were opened for lavish increases with little reservations. The issue had been started by our three-term departing mayor who also wasn't someone I particularly admired.

Did I win the day? Probably not totally, but by speaking my mind honestly and clearly I significantly affected the outcome of our committee's final recommendation and fell proud of it!

No comments: