Saturday, February 27, 2016

The (evolving) art of ski video

Even though I began shooting ski videos in the late 80s. I started making ski clips in earnest since 2010, when I got my first helmet-mounted GoPro camera. Since that time, I have learned a lot and keep on learning each time I edit my work.

Because it's not so much when I shoot that I realize my mistakes, but when I try to piece together whatever good footage I have into a ski movie. I have mentioned before the shaking that comes with the helmet-mounted cam and a hard, bumpy ski terrain.

Now, when I look at my options, I will consider more angles, different perspectives, small details to insert at editing, and try to I realize that the best way to create a good film is to be extremely patient and super well equipped.

Patient, because it demands multiple takes and repetition, well equipped or organized because image stability becomes a priority, especially if zooming is needed.

This sounds complicated, but it's still fun. I'll begin working on it, tomorrow!

No comments: