Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Marcel Rosset, 1944-2018

Marcel passed away on February 13. The first time I met him, I was in Cluses at the “Ecole National d'Horlogerie”. He was a junior then, and I looked up to him.

Next, I remember doing the Vallée Blanche, in Chamonix, with him in the spring of 1970. We had picked him up at his place in Scionzier, where he worked as a technician.

He hated that job and missed Morzine so much, that soon thereafter, he kissed his engineering education goodbye and joined us at the Avoriaz ski school.

Ever since, I saw him early every morning (we both were early-birds) prepping and waxing his skis.

In addition to his regular hobbies like fishing, hunting and gardening, he had teamed-up with another ski instructor to set up a home maintenance company during the off-season.

Since I have been in America, we closely kept in touch. I visited with him on October 2013 and the last time we chatted over the phone was on October 21, 2017.

I'll miss his good nature, his sense of humor and his total lack of pretentiousness. Mostly, I'll miss him as a good friend.

No comments: