Monday, January 20, 2020

Discovering Snowbasin’s best part

Almost 12 years ago, I drove the one hour plus, from Park City to Snowbasin, to ski the 2002 Olympic site to the downhill and super-G events.

I did it on two repeated occasions. It was late in April, and only the Strawberry gondola was running, so I missed the “John Paul” side of the mountain.

This area was named after John Paul Jones, a nearby Ogden native who lost his life in the Battle of Belvedere, Italy, during WWII, where the 10th won, as the first Allied unit to cross the Po River. Jones who had a special love for the area and was an avid believer in the Snowbasin concept.

He died before he could ever see the realization of his dream of the mountain.

When I returned yesterday to ski with my grandson, we did it all, and boy did we love the Allen Peak Tram and the John Paul Express chair!

This would seem among to be the very best skiing in all of Utah, at least for the kind of skiing I love and practice, and this was too seconded by my grandson who skied like a champ all afternoon long...

No comments: