Sunday, January 5, 2020

Too many skiers on the slopes?

With now more than 7.7 billion humans on earth, it’s only right that we begin to feel the squeeze on the ski slopes as well.

I skied late this week with my daughter thinking that the “tourists” would be long gone, but boy, was I wrong!

I don’t know for sure where they all came from, but they were still there with us, keeping us tight company, bringing the lift lines alive and making skiing down the hill a deadly game of chicken.

Agility and reading what folks in front of you are thinking, has now become part of the required skill-set of modern, proficient skiers.

In a previous blog, I was frowning upon using too much speed, but sometimes, skiing faster than the herd, shelters us from out-of-control skiers or snowboarders that could hit us from behind. We’re simply getting out of harm’s way.

What’s astonishing tough, is that with all this humanity on the slopes, how can we still manage to have any snow left?

No comments: