Sunday, June 13, 2021

My first voyage ‘round the world, part 11

One moment of our trip on the Galileo Galilei that will forever remain seared into my memory, is that day when we crossed the Strait of Gibraltar. 

The weather was wonderful, everything was perfect, no worries, no pressure, neither for JP, nor for me, we had everything, nothing was missing, the paradise on earth or "Cloud 9" in a way. 

I, who usually was unable to stand still, always worried and in constant search of something better and more satisfying, had become perfectly calm and completely fulfilled. This iconic snapshot perfectly captures this state of bliss, our complicity and our friendship. 

Jean-Pierre, who passed on September 23, 2020 was an iconoclast, never afraid of anything and was quite a character. Although I did follow him a lot, I didn't do it all the time and that was a good thing. We didn't always agree either, but still remained friends until the end.

 This was true throughout this journey to Australia and continued for almost fifty years!

No comments: