Thursday, October 8, 2026

The curse of too many choices (Part Four)

So, here we are, in front of a fascinating paradox, as we’re facing too few choices that can limit creativity and too many choices that can also overwhelm it. Still creativity could flourish in the space between constraint and freedom. 

Perhaps we need a "choice budget" as an interesting extension to our discussion. This idea didn’t come from me, but was suggested by another source and I thought, “What a great idea!” 

We normally think about budgets in terms of money, but perhaps we should also have a budget for decisions in which every insignificant decision consumes a tiny amount of mental energy and a limited time. 

For instance, which shirt to wear? Which restaurant to go to? Which podcast to listen to? Which route to take? Which brand to pick? Which email should I answer first? 

Which of these 47 versions should I buy? It’s obvious that taken individually, these decisions are trivial, yet, they occupy an extraordinary amount of our lives, so perhaps wisdom consists partly of creating default choices. 

This could go like this: The same breakfast, a small wardrobe, a few favorite restaurants, a handful of trusted sources of information, a limited number of hobbies and a predetermined exercise routine. In addition, we would adopt a rule that says: “I won't replace something until it actually stops serving me.” And perhaps one of the most powerful rules: “Once I have made a sufficiently good decision, I stop looking for a better one.” 

This powerful principle would attack FOMO quite directly. Ultimately, I’m also discovering as I advance in this discussion that my initial idea leads somewhere more profound than simply saying: "Too many choices are tiring." This, of course, raises the question of what freedom actually means as we tend to define it as: "I can choose anything." 

Perhaps another definition should be "I am not forced to consider everything." The first option gives us an infinite menu while the second offers us peace. So with this in mind, you now have all the tools in hand to master and control the immense array of choices that will continue to attack you every day!

No comments: