Sunday, October 21, 2007

Who’s the boss?

Ever since I have been under the yoke of work, I could never escape having a bunch of bosses. At first, they were my parents, then my teachers, my siblings (when we all worked in the family business)and eventually my superiors in the military. It’s perhaps only when I was a self-employed ski instructor that, for the first time - and a short while at that - I didn’t feel someone breathing down my neck; however, I soon discovered that, to be successful, I had to submit myself to my clients! There was no way to escape a boss. Later, I sold my soul to the devil the day I entered the corporate life. It came laden with a wide variety of bosses, most of them inept, arrogant and often totally incompetent. Never could I find a good mentor capable of developing me; it was always the other way around. This is undoubtedly why the best part of my business career came when I was running a small distribution company in Salt Lake. Only then did I feel some sense of elation, but still had to put up with lots of hard-to-please customers. Now, things have changed, and the other day, I was surprising myself wondering if there were room for a boss in my terrific new life. There was none around and I finally came to the realization that I had overcome that beast for good. Sure, there’s my spouse, but the expectation is to please her whenever I can; I have no fear yet of getting fired…

No comments: