Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Après-ski

Old skis never die...When there’s no better use left in them and if they can’t be recycled, they just take a trip to the dump and who knows what happen to them. I really hope the good ones won’t just pass away into oblivion. This morning I begged farewell to three of my former gliding companions; one pair of Rossignol 9X, quite narrow and barely able to carve, one pair of Dynastar Skicross 66 that introduced me to carving and contemporary skiing (even though they were still relatively narrow) and one pair of wider planks, the Dynastar Intuitiv 74, that – of the three – were the most beat up (with about 6 inch of steel edge missing on one of them.) The Rossis had seen the least use as I’ve never had much affinity for the brand. My only previous experience with it was actually a pair of Roc 550 that I used for teaching skiing in Australia in the early 70’s. By contrast, the Dynastars were true workhorses as well as loyal servants; they've been through a lot, witnessed tons of fun, plowed into miles of deep Utah powder and made very fast moves. I’ll miss them both very much! As for what will happen to their ski soul, I really am wondering. Given their taste for speed and need for adrenaline, I sincerely hope they’ll re-incarnate into a glider airplane, a composite wing or perhaps - more realistically, but far less glorious- an Adirondack-ski-style chair. Who really knows?

No comments: