Monday, November 5, 2007

"Liquid" fondue

I’m not what you’d call a real cook. I certainly do barbecue, crush our breakfast bananas, officiate over raclette, and do cheese fondue from A to Z. Over the years, I have always managed to produce delectable fondues, with two notable exceptions. One was about a year ago, when our entire family was ready around the pot, and the two types of cheese we had tried to mix behaved like separatists and forced us to eat something else instead. The second was this past Saturday, when I suggested a fondue dinner for my spouse and me. I have neglected to mention that, over time, we’ve reduced the cheese portion from the traditional 200 gram down to 125 gram per person. Since the ratio between cheese and wine is critical, and that 10 centiliter of wine are to match a 200 gram serving of cheese, I had to run down to my office, punch in my calculator the 2 servings needed, namely 250 grams, to figure out the required quantity of wine. I came up with 12.5 centiliter. Since I tried to relate that quantity with the clear plastic measurer that we use, two times 12.5 made ¼ liter which precisely falls on one of the markings; for some odd reasons, I kept that round figure in my head and poured it into the fondue pot. Very quickly, I discovered the “fluidity” of the situation, tried to let the fondue boil a bit to evaporate some of the extra liquid, but even a dressed-up pig remains a pig, and at the end, I had to acknowledge my miscalculation. My spouse was a good trooper, didn’t give me any hard time and, by pulling together, we finished (I should say, drank) the entire dish. I promise that the next fondue will be more… solid!

No comments: