Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Managing memories

I’ve already written about storing and retrieving memories; it was about an acquaintance of mine who is a complainer. The whole concept stood as a great refrigerator where a wide variety of past pictures, feelings and thoughts can be securely stored. The good and the bad, the notable and the mediocre, the stuff that hurts and the precious elements that make us feel good. This is on these last two categories that I’d like to focus my thoughts for the day. Over the years, I’ve trained my mind to only focus on positive memories and have decided that this storage space of mine was too limited and valuable to “stuff” anything and everything in it. As a result, I’ve made a conscious effort to evict negative events, painful souvenirs and other bad deeds from this pristine storage space. This said, I still can’t comprehend how so many people won’t let go of their retrograde memories and are always ready to “warm them up” to serve them at a moment’s notice. Letting go of bad things is one of my life’s foundation and this is one of few good moves I adhere to in order to maintain my sanity. If the same folks that seemingly love to steer up that horrific caldron made an effort to eradicate these “weeds” from their psyche, life would suddenly become so much more pleasant…

No comments: