Sunday, October 19, 2008

Calculate your carbon footprint

I wanted to do it for a long time and it’s only yesterday that I took a few moments to figure out my "carbon footprint". I went to the “Carbon Foot Print” website and followed the instructions to get to a figure amounting to 11,600 tons of CO2 per person (thank god, for sharing the same home with my spouse!) What's impressive is the impact that airline travel has on these figures; one round trip between Salt Lake City and Europe is a staggering 2,500 ton! While my per-capita footprint compares favorably to the huge 20.4 ton for each American, the average footprint of my French countrymen is only 6.2 ton against a worldwide figure of about 4 ton. Take the time to do the exercise and if you dare, send me the size of your own footprint! Now, if that can make you feel better, if we were serious about combating climate change, the worldwide average would need to be brought down to 2 ton per individual; we’ve got our work cut out for us…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are not too old to surf, but making your first attempt in S. Cal might not be good idea. Perhaps in Hawaii with me would be better. Hope you are having a fun trip.

I did the carbon foot print trying to do it for 5 persons (flights, cars, house etc) and came to 27.8 tons. This sounds good when divided by 5 but I think it is low as the 2ndary impact was based on only one! A good exercise none the less.

Hope to see you soon! - Dirk