Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What brought you to Utah?

This is a classic question that many Utahns will unmistakably ask a visitor or anyone who speaks with some kind of an accent. Since I have one too, I’ve heard it hundreds of times and, on each occasion had to dream up a story that would make some sense to the curious listener. Generally, that story was very simple as it was the unadulterated truth and in fact, that’s always what I have reluctantly offered until this week. In the flight to California, the lady behind us listening to us speak French, first asked where we where from, after telling her we were from Utah she was almost indignant when she exclaimed why don’t you speak English like everyone else! Needless to say that it ticked me off enough to prepare a good follow up answer when she asked me the seemingly unavoidable “what brought you to Utah?” I almost didn’t blink and anwered: “Religion.” The old woman then followed-up by saying “the main one?” and I went: “You’ve got that one right!” I was satisfied!

No comments: