Friday, October 24, 2008

Running routes and technology

If you’re a runner, there are two modern innovations that can make a world of difference: Google maps and the GPS. For almost 30 years, I’ve always enjoyed running in each place I would visit. Unfortunately, since I never knew the place well enough, I ended up running near the place I was staying and had to dodge heavy traffic, dog bites and other unforeseen situations. It’s only for the past couple of years that I know combine two elements that always afford me a great running experience, wherever I find myself. I first go to the Google map, explore my immediate surroundings and try to spot a nice park or a scenic course. If it happens to be a bit far from my hotel, I take the car, dial up the GPS to that address and gets there without much stress, ready to enjoy a wonderful run. Never before was I ever able to accomplish that so easily…

No comments: