Monday, December 13, 2010

Evian's naïveté

Yesterday, as we were downloading the gondola at the Canyons, we rode with three young snowboarders, one one them sporting a t-shirt that said “naive” with the Evian water logo.
Even though I was born just miles away from the plant where the famous and expensive water is bottled, it had never downed on me that “Evian” spelled backwards could read “Naive.” Quite a slip of tongue, or a sly inference into the lack of critical thinking from snobbish consumers, that fall for the marketing promises that a well-branded bottle of water will make them feel healthier and much cooler!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Never even thought of that! I remember long ago, in the early '60s, Evian had this slogan: "Boire Evian, c'est respirer a 3,000m" (Drinking Evian is like breezing at 10,000ft - give or take). Our late friend Georges Grando was telling me then how he noticed the slogan while flying in a plane at 30,000ft.
Funny how your post made me think of him. RIP Georges, we still think of you.
Bill

Go 11 said...

Me too, I thought that the name Evian was "created by god" not by smart-ass Chablaisien who deep inside, wanted the Evianais to appear like a bunch of idiots. I remember other slogans "si pure, si legere" among others...