Monday, December 6, 2010

Nine lives (the sequel)

This morning, in reading my hometown's newspaper I was shocked to read that, mid-afternoon yesterday, a man fell more than 100 feet off a pedestrian suspended bridge that span the Morzine valley, just a couple of miles from the village where I was raised in the French Alps, and managed to survive his fall with only two broken ankles and some degree of hypothermia as he landed on a snow pile before sliding into the nearby creek.
The man, who happened to be Morzine's very own mayor was conscious when the helicopter picked him up before taking him to a hospital in Annecy. He apparently voluntarily straddled the guard-rail and for seemingly no reason took a plunge that ended up being quite miraculous. As we discussed the other day, he evidently had not used up his full reserves of lives, yet!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Call this my suspicious nature, but if I was on the city council board, I would investigate the books for the past few years.
There may also be a more reasonable explanation: with age and the onset of Alzheimer the poor man forgot he was not a BASE jumping aficionado and forgot to strap on his chute.
Or just maybe, she made him do it (cherchez la femme).
No offense intended to the mayor of Morzine or to those who elected him, cela va de soit.
Bill

Go 11 said...

Bill, I think your points are well taken and I'm sure they must have gone through the jumper's mind during his (seemingly)endless fall. I will keep you posted with what comes out of that story. My take away is that when I'm in the market for miracles, instead of going to Lourdes next time, I'll simply go home to Morzine!