Saturday, December 4, 2010

Trip to old town

Our home is about 3 miles from old town Park City and yesterday, we walked all the way to our downtown location. On the way, we stopped at the bank and then went on to the post office, right on Main Street.
When our errands were over, we went to the Park City Transit Center, caught the free bus back home and about 25 minutes later we were back to the bus stop that's only 300 yards away from home. Our free bus system is a wonder that we ignored for too long and only discovered when we moved to our smaller home.

Before, we had no bus stops nearby and as a result never used the facility. Today, we used the bus system when our town is congested with big events, like the film festival or during the peak tourist season. When I used to ski Park City Mountain Resort, I would at time ride the bus back and forth when parking was too difficult. The Park City transit system is clean, comfortable, ski & bike friendly, it won't just take you wherever you want to go and whenever you want to get there - but it does it in a surprisingly green way. Park City's buses are all powered by bio-diesel and make it possible for you to reduce greenhouse gases while enjoying the Park City lifestyle.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your posting brought back memories! When I was born, my mother was a "replacement" teacher in the Savoies, which means we changed school every year, often in yet unknown ski resorts! When I was 4, we were in Notre Dame de Bellecombe, where I had my first skiing experience and my first skis. I was spoiled, there was a lift too! It was also the place of my first "disappearance." I somehow coerced a local skier to take me in front of her legs to the top (it was a disk bar lift). An hour or so later, somebody found me trying to fight my way from a snow funnel under a fir tree near the slope. I finished the run under his arm: great feeling, head first, I loved it.
Years later, we were in Bay (near Passy), then Sallanches. Like you, I never had proper coaching until I became a ski instructor (not moniteur) for the Club Med in Chamonix (lousy pay but great tips, and the girls!). Like you, we were not rich, but it was relatively cheap for us: the school lent the skis, the shoes were usually a Xmas present, and we always new somebody or somebody's brother or cousin who ran the lift, so we did not pay. We walked to the slopes or hitchhiked or bummed a ride, and ski down home at the end of the day. In the summer, we hiked or climbed. Life was sweet, wasn't it? But we did not know it...