Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Skiing with the “pack...”

For years now, we've been lucky. We've roamed empty slopes, skied where there was almost no one else. When I'd send a video illustrating our ski adventures to my good friend Francois Feuz in Switzerland, he would exclaim: “Where are the other skiers?” and it was true. For the past five years (ever since I've been retired) we had the whole mountain to ourselves. So far, this year isn't the same anymore as we can only ski on man-made snow and must mingle and share a crowded run with other users and it's hard.

You can call it collision-avoidance, I'll call it Russian roulette, because it's no longer a matter of “if” but just a matter of “when” someone will collide with you. I understand better while many of my European friends don't enjoy skiing anymore. While we wait for some abundant new snow, I'll keep my fingers crossed and my skis... parallel!

No comments: