Thursday, August 22, 2013

Trail Test: Twenty-nine inch wheels

Today, I finally got a chance to trail test the new 29er bike. I did it at Deer Valley Resort as I was shooting a mountain bike video while trying to keep up with a fast female rider, herself riding a stiff tail, 29' inch bike.
At first, the combination of exploring a new trail and riding a totally different bike made it very difficult and a bit awkward, but on a second run, my impressions began to clear up.

Overall the bike is much faster (going uphill and of course, going down!) and there's that feeling of total impunity while clearing obstacles along the way – not unlike skiing wide skis as opposed to narrow, more traditional ones.

The downside of course, is maneuverability into tight turns. I was much more tentative, but I still believe that with some practice, more angulation, I'll be able to make it work. Overall, a positive experience. I can't wait to practice on my new bike when I get it next month!

No comments: