Tuesday, October 1, 2013

How to lose a “friend...”

There are friends and friends; I'm not even talking about the Facebook kind that are a totally different specie. I'm thinking of real friends, the few that we value and want to keep no matter what.

Some time ago, I thought I had such a friend. Once, he asked me to procure him an American-made item. I did, and made it a gift to him. It was complicated as I had to order it, receive it at my home, ship it again to his place in Austria and fill all the custom and insurance forms.

Several years later, he asked me for the same item. I checked on the internet and found out that the company was shipping to Europe. I told him that it would be easier to order it on line and get it directly that way. I even offered to handle the transaction for him inferring that, this time, he would have to pay for it.

I subsequently lost all contact and – I guess – what I thought was his friendship.

No comments: