Thursday, January 8, 2015

Je suis Charlie

I briefly was a fan of Hara-Kiri, Charlie Hebdo's predecessor, when I was a teenager, but could not quite swallow their kind of humor that at times made me cringe. This was just me, but I am unabashedly in favor of free expression.
Today, there's of course one big elephant in France's living room that no one dares to address and it's the growing cultural gap between Muslims and French people, forced to live together. It's much more than a religious divide, it's a split between fundamental values, modern and medieval, civilized and barbaric.

Now, my home country must begin to decide if it want to continue to accommodate what clearly doesn't belong to its heritage if it doesn't want its street to start resembling the streets and the bazaars of the Arab world.

To address the situation, someone will have to put his or her foot down and the process will be hurtful, long, costly and ugly.

No comments: