Friday, August 7, 2015

First GOP Debate

I was looking forward to an entertaining evening with Mr. Trump taking center-stage in a ten men line-up, but was a bit disappointed in the real estate tycoon's ability to disrupt the orderly debate as I thought he would do.

This said, I've been amazed about the low level of intellect displayed by the GOP electorate who sees something in Trump, and idiot seeking publicity at all cost, and because of their judgment, manages to eclipse the rest of the field. It says a lot about the quality of our republican politicians and the shallowness of their program or lack thereof.
This said, I think that among this terrible crop of candidates, Jeb Bush managed to pull the best performance of the evening by delivering what he had been well-trained to regurgitate and establishing himself as more centrist voice. He was in my view followed by John Kasich who also offered a non-extremist version of his world view.

Trump, the out-of-control New-Yorker, acted as the idiot I thought he would be, and Scott Walker was a disappointment. It's hard to be an extremist and appeal to a voting nation made largely of reasonable folks. The rest of the team was simply blend and of little interest. I had hope Rand Paul might pull something compelling, but he didn't. Christie was pathetic, Rubio weak, Cruz remained the fanatic we know and that's about it.

My early prediction: The nomination will either go to Bush or Kasich.

No comments: