Sunday, September 10, 2017

When in Rome...

...Do as the Romans do, at least that the way life should work. Recently, not far from my native hometown, up in the French Alps, a bunch of second-home owners started a petition and presented it to the City Hall at Le Biot, to protest the noise made by cowbells, as a herd has been grazing on the ski slopes opposite to their cabins and condos.

These malcontents were mostly made of Brits along with a Belgian and a French, I believe, and all but one of the dozen of households involved is a year-round resident. That rather trivial and petty grievance reminded me of my life experience, coming from the France and setting foot in America more than 40 years ago.

To survive, thrive and make the best of my American experience, I simply had to adapt to my new home, its different values and its unique culture. I did the best I could to lay low at times, make no waves or never fight against the main stream. This was what I believed then, what worked perfectly well for me, and what I continue to abide by today.

This is also what I expect newcomers to do; if they don't like it, it's always time to move on. Not rocket-science by any means! So, if these folks that can't stand cowbell music want to feel better, they simply have to leave. Adapt or perish!

No comments: