Friday, December 8, 2017

Snow, weather and climate

This early season doesn't bode well for snow. We shouldn't get anything until – perhaps – later on this month, if at all, because that's a far a the reasonable weather models can see.

A stubborn ridge of high pressure that sits over California and the central Rockies seems to be to blame for the drought. While the temperatures stay low enough to make lots of snow, it's never going to be enough to satisfy all the visitors and me.

Droughts are not unseen events during a winter season. Back in the Alps, I remember the dreadful 63-64 winter season, and closer to my current home, I knew that 75-76 was terrible too, with no snow-making to boot!

These dismal conditions repeated themselves in 79-80, which I remember particularly well, because it was my first visit to Park City in January of that season, with no decent skiing possible. Later on, snow droughts were a bit milder, like in 86-87, one year after we moved to town.

What role has climate change played recently in our snow cover? Elevated temperatures for sure, but it remains hard to judge its effect on precipitations just yet, even though we've been promised that our region will eventually turn into some desert.

So, what will this season be? I have no idea, but have a hard time staying optimistic... aucune idée, mais j'ai du mal à rester optimiste ...

No comments: