Thursday, December 7, 2017

The day (French) music died

Almost like in the song “American Pie”, yesterday the French music almost died with the passing of its national rock and roll artist, Johnny Hallyday. I was a freshly-minted teenager when I used to love Johnny's sound and this infatuation lasted for three of four year.

After these precious few yeas, the idol became a marketing product; I remember when he came to Avoriaz to show off during the days when I was a ski instructor there.

The only time I saw the man on stage was in Washington, DC, in 2014. I wasn't impressed. Well, the artist was not writing his material, was "faking" an American rocker character and as a way to compensate, was taking himself a tad too seriously unlike some of his much more famous contemporaries like Paul McCartney or Bob Dylan.

This is probably why I never found him so endearing to me. Godspeed, Johnny!

No comments: