Wednesday, June 27, 2018

If I were Sundance Resort General Manager...

We love to drive to Sundance, Utah, that mini ski resort, tucked away under Mt. Timpanogos and under the permanent protection of Mr. Robert Redford, its owner. Less than one year ago, on that blog, I suggested that I should become director of maintenance for the resort.

Today, I'm aiming a bit higher and would like the general manager's job (GM). Let me explain why. We were just there on Sunday and wanted to buy an ice cream. The weather was nice, right in the low eighties. We went inside the country store and waited in line. We couldn't see any ice cream offered for sale, but remembered that we had one last year.

Our turn arrived six or seven minutes later. I asked the employee:
“Do you have ice-cream?”
Blank stare, a short moment of silence and the staff member goes: “Yeah, I guess so”...
I asked: “Which flavor do you have?”
The employee: “Just chocolate.”
Me: “Can we have it in a cone?”
The employee: “No, just in a cup...”
Me: “Sayonara!”

In my book, this kind of service is called “missed opportunity” and while the back of the country store and restaurant used to be a bit lively just a few years ago, it's now going to the dogs.

No one is there. If I were the GM I'd rent these spaces to craft merchants and food joints to create what is missing at Sundance: Life, plain an simple. I would also maximize the cash flow of that place without making it too mercantile because Redford wouldn't approve of it.

Well, the only problem is that I'm not the Sundance GM yet!

No comments: