Thursday, September 9, 2021

A first trip ‘round the world, part 53

No matter where we ski, each time we have a bad early ski season, with little snow, warm temperatures and overcrowded ski runs, we must become creative, less picky and more astute about creating the best possible experience.

At these moments, I’m reminded of our Australian ski years. We had very little in terms of terrain, vertical drop, snow quality and, let’s be honest, scenic beauty. 

Somehow, we made it work and made our experience on snow quite lovable. So, here we are today, reminiscing a treasure with not a huge quantity of gold coins and emeralds, but rarity always breeds value. This applies to so many experiences in our lives and we should never forget it. 

Yet, Laurent Vanat, the Swiss ski resort business analyst, thinks that Australia skiing is more about its skiers than what the local resorts have to offer. 

“Australia has a strong immigration program, which in effect creates a whole new emerging market within its own borders. Many ‘new Australians’ come from countries with no snow and no winter culture. These people are very keen to experience snow and have a go. This market is embracing snow tourism and flocking to the Alpine resorts, particularly on weekends. Australian resorts are clearly not very appealing to international customers, since New Zealand offers a close alternative with much greater vertical drop, lower prices and at least as much fun.” 

Clearly, this man isn’t thrilled about Australia skiing. He must be blinded by its small lift capacity figures, limited vertical drop and lack of dining and shopping options. I’d wonder if he has ever set foot in Australia and most importantly, if he has spend much time experiencing its resorts. 

Philippe had a strong reaction: “I don't remember skiing in Australia as being limited, and I was born and bred in Chamonix, of all places, where since I was fifteen I’vee been skiing the Grands Montets and descending the Vallée Blanche every spring. I know, I’m spoiled! At Bull Run, in Mt Buller there was some steeps and enough vertical to have fun. The run under the chairlift was perfect for teaching. Okay, the views weren’t the greatest… Just an endless forest of eucalypti! As an instructor, teaching there was great and the slopes we had were just perfect to make our students fall in love with the snow, then skiing, which prepared them well for a future ski-trip to Europe.”  

For me, though, and probably for all my colleagues and friends who have taught skiing there, Australia skiing means a lot and I’d personally be ready to return there, if my wife let me, of course, and if I could be joined with my good old friends that once upon a time were there with me. 

Are you all ready?

No comments: