Thursday, March 21, 2024

Hiking for a change…

Yesterday was a special day. On Tuesday, Dave, a neighbor, had suggested I join him to climb and ski “Pinecone”, an out-of-bound ridge in the Jupiter area of Park City. I hesitated because of age and declining VO2max. 

The last time I climbed it was with my daughter on December 31, 2006, so quite a long time ago, when I was only 59, and I remember having suffered a bit as I carried her skis to the top! The climb is a 420 foot vertical, 40 degree slope situated between 9,400 and 9,900 feet elevation and I’ve always found it exhausting (I have done it a half-dozen times when I was much younger).

After a short hesitation, I decided to join the group and pretty soon we were at the bottom of the hill. Dave who is still 60 (lucky him!) had been joined by Geoff, his 72 year old buddy. I climbed it in just 20 minutes, a few yards behind my neighbor but well ahead of the other septuagenarian which made me feel very good. 

My skiing partners decided for an encore and I passed. Instead, I hiked Jupiter Peak, a significantly shorter trek leading a much steeper and intimidating couloir. When I was done with my hikes for the year, I quietly returned home…

No comments: