Monday, September 14, 2026

The 9-11 unasked question

When I learned about the September 11 terrorist attack I was having breakfast in Vail, Colorado, following my morning run. In hearing what was happening in New York City, the first thought that came to my mind was “Years of humiliation and punishment brought against the Palestinian population is the root cause of these attacks”.

By and large America didn’t perceive that angle of the devastating attack. Fueled by its righteousness and its ingrained sense of exceptionalism, it became self-indignant saying “How can someone attack us in this manner, this is totally unfair, we absolutely didn’t deserve that kind of treatment.” Nowhere, have I heard “Why did someone inflict that horrible punishment to us?” 

True, asking WHY would have made sense, but remained conspicuously absent from our national response. At least that’s how I understood it. Absolutely no comprehensive post-mortem, but instead a “well-deserved”, twenty year war of vengeance against Afghanistan first, and almost simultaneously another one, almost as costly in lives and resources, against Iraq. 

A tragedy for all that is also a powerful reminder, that in order to learn from a catastrophe we should always get to the root cause of the situation by asking a simple “Why?”

No comments: