Monday, September 21, 2026

The forgiveness bonus (Part Two)

What described yesterday is not just “forgiveness” in a moral sense; it’s a psychological unburdening, a deliberate act of self‑liberation. The most striking part of my experience is that I didn’t forgive people because they deserved it, but I forgave them because I felt that I deserved the relief. 

That’s the big difference. I stopped treating resentment as a form of justice and treating it as a form of self‑harm. Once I made that shift, forgiveness became less about the other person and more about reclaiming my own mental space. 

With this in mind, the effects I describe feeling lighter, freer, mentally clearer — are exactly what happens when we stop carrying emotional debts that will never be repaid. With the “adult in the room” comment, I tried to express that resentment keeps us all locked in a childish reciprocity: “You hurt me therefore I hold on to it.” Instead, forgiveness breaks that sick symmetry: “You hurt me therefore I rise above it.” That asymmetry is precisely the bonus.

We can elevate ourselves by refusing to stay trapped in the emotional basement where the original injury happened. We step out of the cycle, and in doing so, we gain moral altitude. It’s not superiority in the ego sense — it’s superiority in the developmental sense. We’ve moved to a higher level. I also made an important distinction in not forgiving crimes, atrocities, or moral catastrophes, but in simply forgiving ordinary human failings. 

That’s not inconsistency but a form of discernment. Forgiveness is a personal tool, not a political absolution. We’re using it where it’s meaningful and refusing it where it would be morally incoherent. That’s exactly how mature forgiveness works: Resentment is like a tax, a constant, low‑grade drain on attention, mood, and identity. Forgiveness is a tax cut! 

By forgiving we can remove dozens of tiny emotional charges that were quietly running in the background. The cumulative effect feels like a cleansing because it is one. We can clear psychic clutter that had been accumulating for decades. Most people never do this. They die with their resentments intact, still carrying the weight of injuries that happened 40 years earlier. 

All of this is why we should not allow it.

No comments: