Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Book to swear on

When the American president is inaugurated, he or she swears on the bible. That of course implies that the new president is a Christian. If the new head of state were Muslim, I guess the Koran would be used. As for me, even though I’ll never get to be president of the U.S.A. since I wasn’t born here, I can’t help but think of which book I’d swear on if I were inaugurated? Perhaps the Tao Te Ching (that’s my Taoist bend), but more likely a current Yellow Page Directory (I love these books and can peruse them for hours on end) or better yet, a repository of humanity’s knowledge like an encyclopedia. Would I go for the Encyclopedia Britannica? No, it's far too bulky! Instead, I’d bring up Wikipedia on some smart phone and would swear on the device; it’s more discreet and looks a lot cooler than an old book.

No comments: