Sunday, June 3, 2007

Global citizen?

I’ve always wanted to go into space to view our blue planet from afar. From what I’ve seen on TV, from space earth is pretty seamless and borders don’t show; from a distance, there are no ways to tell national, ethnic or religious differences. Would this suggest that humans should be able to roam free all over this blue planet? Wait a minute, this is getting very radical and going a bit too fast! We’re not ready yet for mixing all these folks; boundaries have to stay in place and we must control immigration. Look, as we speak we’re busy building partition walls between the United States and Mexico as well as between Israel and Palestine. What’s unbelievable is that on one hand we promote the idea of opening all markets for the common good, but we recoil with fear when some suggest opening up borders for people. As a dual citizen, I don’t feel particularly American or French; what should be my national point view is somewhat blurred and as a result I feel much comfortable feeling and thinking like a global citizen. It gets me over the morass of petty national differences. When I see all the suffering and the struggles through the world, I believe there could be a better way if we all shared more of the earth resources in an open and equal manner. Does that make you feel more of a global citizen too?

No comments: