Monday, September 14, 2009

From business to politics, jail and show-business

A few nights ago we watched “Oscar” a French vaudeville starring, among others actors, Bernard Tapie. Well, that character is one of a kind and started his public career as a high-flying entrepreneur and LBO expert with lesser-known companies all the way to Adidas. He then became a politician, French cabinet member, owned a sport team, went to jail for a while and is now... an actor! I never liked the guy; I thought he was an egomaniac and epitomized everything I didn't like about greed, business and politics.

What was remarkable though, is while Regan and Schwarzenegger had cleared a path from acting to politics, our man had accomplished the exact opposite! To return to the show, while the rest of the cast was pretty dismal and I had some very strong biases against him, Tapie did a fairly good job and led me to think that he finally had found his true calling; I just fell sorry that it took him so long and he had to go through such a tortuous set of circumstances to discover it!

No comments: