Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Surprising sardines!

When I was a kid, and when “exotic” foods where a rarity on the family table, a freshly opened sardine can was the closest thing I knew to the best fish in the Alps. Yes, we sometimes ate a trout, but that was a very rare event as no one in the family spent anytime fishing the nearby brook and lake. So sardines have a powerful way to recall my gustatory experiences that strayed away from the good, but ordinary homemade foods that were a daily staple.

We've rediscovered sardines a few years ago as I needed to remind my taste buds about that lowly fish, and since I'm a dandelion addict, we experimented a bit with it by adding bits of sardine to replace bacon or boiled egg in that spring delicacy. The result was just stunning and ever since that moment, sardines often find their way into our salad, even if it's not just the seasonal dandelion. That little fish will never cease to surprise me...

No comments: