Tuesday, January 19, 2010

How to measure skiing?

I've said that skiing owed to be measured in terms of vertical drop and that was by far the best yardstick to use. This afternoon, I returned to the “crime scene,” on Sultan chairlift in Deer Valley, to be precise, to enjoy a foot of new snow that had put an end to a very long and unusual early season drought. I proceeded to ski down by the lift, on skier's left, in the lightly tracked new snow which represented two-third of the way and ended up on a wavy, skiers' packed new snow for the rest of the run.


After 13 non-stop laps, the lifts closed and it was time for me to call it a day. I had logged just over 26,000 feet, but felt totally exhausted compared to the day we broke our 112,750 feet record and skied Sultan Express 60 times non-stop. Of course, that day we had skied a perfectly groomed run. The point to my story is that “vertical” is only telling part of it and snow conditions can make a five-fold difference. This means that, for setting a record and for consistency's sake, the run need to be impeccably groomed. For real merit, however, the measurement is so subjective that I shouldn't lose sleep over the need to reworking the entire formula!

No comments: