Thursday, January 7, 2010

Transitioning from physical to less demanding pursuits

When I grew up, many of my heroes were skiers; Jean-Claude Killy was one of them, but at a local level, Jean Berthet, a great skier living in Les Gets, France, got my attention. While he never won any Olympic event and no one heard much of him outside of France, he ended up having a great career revolving almost exclusively around his ski accomplishments. He passed away a few years ago in his mid-eighties and my understanding was that his later part of his life was not that enjoyable.

You see, Berthet relied solely on his good looks and his physical prowess on skis to draw his dose of gratification, and these attributes, unfortunately are the privilege of youth, they don't last forever and when they vanish there's nothing left to hold onto. I love to run, ski, bike and be active, but I do realize that aging is lurking in the dark and it's now time for me to transition into something less physical and more suited to my age. This is why I feel it's now time to revisit my artistic inclinations that inhabited me when I was a kid and redevelop them as a springboard to feed my second wind in life...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it