Saturday, June 25, 2011

Pushing tough products to sell

More than once during my working career, I had to sell products that weren't in high demand and had their shares of flaws and problems. It would have been a lot easier for me to sell Rossignol and Salomon than Look, Koflach and Pre skis, but that wasn't to be.

Granted, I got lucky during the time I worked for Lange, but at the time, the product was still searching for its true soul as it tried to be all things to all people and was quite uncertain about the future of rear-entry boot design. So here I was, extolling the great things about my products and minimizing or placating their major weaknesses.

Doing that made me a much a more creative and astute marketer than if I had been selling items in high demand. I had to scratch my head, think out of the box and make full use of what I could find into the depths of my imagination! All of this taught me a lot and made me that much stronger. The morale of the story is that the road easiest and most traveled rarely is the more rewarding one...

No comments: