Thursday, October 11, 2012

Riding my age...

In our western ski towns, it's very customary to talk about “skiing one's age” as a way to link age with the number of days skied during the course of a given season. For instance, if you've skied 42 days in a season and are also 42 years old, you've skied your age.  In my case I'm far away from just being 42 and while I've skied around 100 days in recent years, this, thank goodness, doesn't make me a centenarian yet!
From that leisure-oriented way of keeping score, I'm making the same parallel with mountain biking. As some of you may have read, we've been into that sport for the past eight seasons and while I hit 49 days last year, which by far was my best season, I still remained many days away from “riding my age...” This past Tuesday, I finally hit that milestone and while it was far under100, it was significantly above last year's number.

Since our riding season isn't over yet, I plan to do better than that. Break another record would probably in terms of total distance for the season: I've already hit the 1,000 km mark, but the 1,000 mile barrier might be quite a stretch!

No comments: