Friday, June 20, 2014

Close call...

Over my relatively long life, I have hit 3 deer with my car, always killing the animal and badly damaging the vehicle. All of these encounters happened either at dusk or at night. I have also had my share of “near-misses” but always in the dark.

This was until yesterday afternoon, as I was driving from Silver Lake village in Deer Valley, down the Mine Road, at about 2:30 pm, on a beautiful, sunny day, that I would have a full, day-light experience of meeting yet another wild animal on the road. A young deer flew down the embankment and brushed off my hood as it ran across the road.

I did not have time to swerve, hit the brakes or do anything; I just watched the scene unfold in slow-mo, as it always happens in an accident. I could only consider myself – and the deer – so lucky!

No comments: