Friday, November 20, 2015

If I were a migrant...

I'd love to have a local tell me the “roads of the road...”
For example: 
  • Do my very best to blend-in and integrate myself the most seamlessly possible to my host society. 
  • Learn the local language and make it a priority over my own. 
  • Adopt the local customs and celebrate the local holidays. 
  • Make sure to name my kids by using local, customary first-names. 
  • Raise my kids as if they belonged fully to their new community; encourage them to make friends with local kids.
  • Dress and behave like the majority of people living in my host country 
  • When possible, and if needed change, alter my first and last names so they fall in synch with the majority 
  • Make a concerted effort to meet and socialize with locals and not just my former countrymen if they happen to be in large number in my new community. 
  • Do nothing negative (i.e. smoking, heavy drinking or other behaviors) that might single me out. 
  • When possible, become a citizen, vote and actively participate in the life and future of the community. 
If any of the above seem too hard (it sure is!) or impossible for me to do, I should return the place I'm coming from.
I can say say this, because I know what I'm talking about; I once was a migrant too. I searched, found and applied the above principles. They made me and my family both successful and happy in our new country.

No comments: