Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Driving for 50 years!

Half-a-century ago, today, was one of the happiest days of my life. I had got my driver's license when I stepped out of the small Simca 1000 white sedan from Alliot driving school in Cluses, France.

My classmate Michel Vittoz, who took and passed the test along with me, felt the same sense of happiness too! Since that time, I must have driven at least 500,000 miles in 30 different cars and hope to keep on driving if not as many, perhaps another 200,000, who knows?

These 50 driving years have been marked with their share of weird incidents, breakdowns, flat-tires, accidents, lethal near-misses, long trips through Europe and Coast-to-Coast in America.

This morning, I'll take my daughter back to the airport and I already can see a long road trip lurking in the spring...

Of course, I almost forgot, I'm looking forward to the upcoming self-driving cars for extending my staying in the “driver's seat” far into grand, old age!

No comments: