Friday, January 19, 2018

Dealing with dead Facebook friends...

As time goes on and as we age, we are bound to lose Facebook friends as they pass on.

Besides the sadness and grief that any loss entails, it seems to me that there's a right way or a wrong way to handle that departure as far as Facebook or any other social media is concerned.

I've already lost four Facebook friends and three of them have lingered a reasonable amount of time online, before someone in their family shut the account down. Better yet, Facebook offers the option to memorialize the account (see picture below), but few families do it, it seems.
Short of exercising that option, I think there's something morbidly voyeuristic about having an online presence, long after someone is deceased.

Today, after more than a year following the death of my fourth “friend”, I decided that it was time to “unfriend him”. What else would you have done?

No comments: